When you walked down the aisle, you never dreamed you’d be thinking about divorce some day – yet it happens to about half of all couples. I you’re experiencing a rocky period in your marriage, instead of immediately leaping toward divorce, consider these simple steps to help change your attitude – and possibly save your marriage:
- Set aside 10 or 15 minutes to think about all the things about your spouse that you like and love. Clear your mind of all your other thoughts and focus just on this task. Make a list to use as a reminder when things get difficult or moods become frayed.
- Surround yourself with couples who enjoy happy, healthy marriages and avoid those who tear down marriage. Sharing experiences with happy couples can help boost your own mood dramatically.
- Likewise, avoid the temptation to say negative things about your spouse. Instead, focus on the positive things your spouse does for you, and always remember that no one is perfect – not even you.
- Take time to be affectionate and to show real appreciation. Give unexpected hugs or backrubs, hold hands when watching television and provide praise regularly so your spouse knows he or she is valued and appreciated. Make it a goal to do one small, nice thing each day for your spouse, even if it’s “just” remembering to saying “I love you.”
- Fight fairly. When you feel the urge to argue or be contrary, take a deep breath and count to 20, focusing on why you feel argumentative. Consider more positive, productive ways to handle disagreements, and avoid nagging or nitpicking just because you’re in a bad mood.
Remember, your have shared things together that you will never share with anyone else. When you look back on this years you want to know that there was nothing you could do to save your marriage. Of course, there are some situations where divorce may be the best option – for instance, in an abusive marriage or when you truly feel you’ve grown too far apart to remain together. If that describes your situation, give us a call Charleston Divorce Lawyer E. Linday Blanks as soon as possible at (843)-863-1800 to schedule a free consultation, and learn how we can help your divorce be as stress-free as possible.